March 3 is World Hearing Day, an annual global advocacy event designed to bring awareness about hearing loss and the importance of ear and hearing care. The theme for 2021 is Hearing care for ALL! Screen. Rehabilitate. Communicate.
McClear's Hearing Aid Sales & Service wants to do its part by passing along the issues being addressed and what the future holds for hearing healthcare.
World Hearing Day aims to address the following:
- Good hearing and communication are important at all stages of life.
- Hearing loss (and related ear diseases) can be avoided through preventative actions.
- Hearing loss (and related ear diseases) can be addressed when it is identified in a timely manner and appropriate care sought.
- People having hearing loss (or related ear diseases) should seek care from a health care provider.
On World Hearing Day in 2021, the World Health Organization is releasing the first ever World Report on Hearing which aims to drive policy actions for integration of ear and hearing care into national health policies.The World Report on Hearing features four main sections with chapters detailing the following themes:
- Hearing across the life-course
- Actions for ear and hearing care
- Facing the challenges
- Designing the way forward
The report provides new information on:
- Latest data on hearing loss estimates including current status and projections
- Future projections till 2050
- Cost of unaddressed hearing loss
- Human resources availability for ear and hearing care (EHC)
- Data on current access and use of hearing aids
- Cost of scaling up ear and hearing care interventions in next 10 years
- Return on investment made in scaling up EHC and related financial gains
Visit WHO’s World Hearing Day website if you would like to learn more: https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-hearing-day/2021.