102 Ford St. Ogdensburg, NY 13669

McLEAR's Hearing Aid Sales & Service

Frequently Asked Questions

McLear's wants you to be well informed when making your hearing healthcare decisions.  After checking the individual topic pages in our information center and answers to the frequently asked questions here, if there is still something that is unclear, please reach out so we can get you the answer you need. Send us an email or give us a call  - (315) 713-9398 - and we will get back with you as soon as we can. We really do care about your hearing healthcare.


Q: Is a hearing screening at McLear's really free?
A: Yes! There is no cost for your hearing screening and you are under no obligation to make any purchases regardless of the results.

Q: What is the difference between an Hearing Instrument Specialist and an audiologist?
A: A Hearing Instrument Specialist (HIS) also referred to as a hearing aid dispenser, is a state-licensed hearing healthcare professional who has been trained to evaluate common types of hearing loss in adults and to dispense, fit, and program hearing aids.

To qualify for registration as a hearing aid dispenser in New York State, an individual must have completed a full year of instruction and practical training, which includes the interpretation of hearing assessment instrumentation, hearing devices and electronics, specifications and programming hearing devices.

To become licensed in NYS, an individual must also pass Department of State administered written and practical examinations. 

While an audiologist can also dispense hearing aids if they have the proper license, according to the American Academy of Audiology, audiologists are trained to perform a wide variety of tasks, including but not limited to implementing auditory rehabilitation and related communication programs assisting in the monitoring of cochlear implants and bone-anchored hearing systems All new audiologists are required to have a doctor of audiology (AuD) degree.


Skip to content